Monday, November 3, 2008

What I want to know of my future students is...

I have been thinking for several days about want I want to about my future students. I guess that most of my classmates will agree on that knowing their background, how willing they are to learn a new language, and so on. However, I believe that we must be clearly aware of their interests. Besides, the interests can change fast, from on year to the next one. That is why I think that teacher must be updated not also in relation to their knowledge, but also in relation of how youth culture is changing.

As a future English teacher I am going to consider the next aspects:

1.- How Cognitively mature are my students.
2.-What attitude they have towards the target language culture.

3.-If they think it is important to learn a new language.

4.- The social environment that surrounds them in their daily life, apart from school.

5.- If they
belong to a certain group.

For me, the aspects that a I mention above are critical at the moment to begin classes with a new group of people.
Teacher have to create their working plan on the solid bases, and not on things that they assume that are true for every single student.

No comments: