Thursday, December 10, 2009

D. Reflective Writing


Reflective Writing

Reflective Writing 1


When I was in high school, I had a very enthusiastic teacher. He wasn’t an English teacher, he was a History teacher. His lessons were very interesting, and we used to have a lot of fun learning the subject. He had a very special personality, he was the kind of person that can make you feel comfortable, creating a friendly environment inside of the classroom.
I want to become an English teacher, because I think English is a great tool to teach about different kinds of topics besides from grammar. You can teach your students about different countries and cultures in order to introduce them the globalized education, and show them that they can be citizens of the world. That is why I want to be an English teacher; I want to help the students to be part of new experience of global education.
My strengths are based on the idea of being a persevering person. You need to be very consistent and work hard in order to achieve the goal that you want. In this particular case is related to learning English, and of course you need to be someone who practices a lot and tries over and over again so as to be successful.
In one more year I see myself working as a teacher in a school from the public system. I really want to do this, because I have a personal commitment with students who have to study under conditions which are not appropriate to acquire a foreign language. It is very hard for me to see me in 15 or 30 more years. I have several plans for my future career as a teacher; I hope that by that time I have reached all my professional goals.
I think that English teacher should have the ability of being effective teachers, on the grounds that if you are an effective teacher you will be able to achieve all the proposed goals. Effective teachers are people who know how to manage a classroom, no matter the working conditions, the number of students and no matter if the students like or dislike English. Besides, effective teachers are leaders. Leadership as a characteristic is a very helpful tool, since it can help you in many different ways. I also think that teachers should create a confident environment in the classroom, so has the students can feel comfortable when they want to show their point of view.
As a student teacher, I would like to accomplish my current goal, and my goal is to be able to make a change in students mind in relation to their own point of view about learning a foreign language. Because for me, learning a language is not only about grammar and structures, but also about the culture that surrounds that specific language.


Reflective writing Nº2: The Observation Stage
I. Introduction
• What do you think the cartoon provided below is illustrating? Why? Answer briefly.

About the image, I think that it is a clear example of what most of people do daily. We tend to believe, that what is on TV is the right thing. However, I think that what we watch, it does not necessarily represent the reality, and you have to look beyond so as to see the truth. Moreover, it was the same during the observation stage; you have to look very carefully in order to see the reality in a school, and not based your opinions in beliefs and misconceptions to make an actual impression of your school.

II. Reflective writing

• Taking into account the information you collected during the observation stage,

1. Reflect on the importance of the initial observation period in final practicum.

I believe that the initial observation is something crucial for your future task as a student-teacher. It is at this point, when you have the opportunity to get to know the students learning styles and other important issues. If you are able to make an effective observation period you will be able to plan your activities and create activities according to the students needs.

2. Refer to the observed issues in assigned school, and explain if these issues caused a change on the expectations you had about this particular period.

During my observation period I had the opportunity not only to observe inside of the classroom, but also at teacher’s room, in the playground, among others. I did not expect to be so involved in the school, with the teachers. The good thing about the school that really surprised me was the collegiate among teachers. In general terms, mi I experienced a very good and welcoming observation stage.

3. How did you feel? Provide one example you consider most relevant to support your answer.
I felt very good during the observation period, I had a great time, students welcomed me nicely, and the teacher provided me a lot of relevant information related to the school and students. I was really worried at the beginning, but at the end of the day turned out to be a good experienced. For example, one of the students asked me how long I will stay there. I told him “until the end of the semester”. All the students were very happy because I will stay so long. That experience showed me that the students liked my presence in the classroom and made me feel even more comfortable.

No comments: