Friday, December 5, 2008

EFL Video Podcast Created by me!

Marian’s Video Podcast Series for Intermediate English as a Foreign Language

1.- Description of intended students
This Video Podcast Series was created for Intermediate students of English as a Foreign Language. It is a group of 30 students whose first language is Spanish. They are between 16 and 17 years old, and they currently attend to “X&Y High School”. After investigating what their interested were; I discovered that they are really interesting in studying vocabulary related to daily life, and also in watching real life situations. I strongly believe that they need to improve their vocabulary related to the weather. That is why I created this Video Podcast Series.
2.- Description of language objectives and content objectives
-Content Objective for the Series:
EFL Students will improve their vocabulary related to the weather through daily life situations.
-Language Objectives for the Series:
ELF Students will be able to recognize the different words, questions, and expressions related to the weather.
EFL Students will reproduce sentences orally and written, using vocabulary related to the weather.
-Content Objectives for the individual Podcast:
EFL Students will know different words to talk about the weather.
EFL Students will make up their own dialogue in order to use the new words learned about the weather.
-Explanation of Reasoning:
I created this first work unit for students to learn basic expressions about the weather. Despite the students are in an intermediate level, the vocabulary used is very basic on the grounds that these are words used in daily life situations. I chose these objectives because I really want my students to improve that part of the language that is missing. I think that if I show them with pictures the meaning of a certain word, they not only will learn by listening, but also by watching. On the other hand, I believe if the students have to put into practice what they watched in the video podcast; they will be able to synthesize the information in their minds, and helping the process of acquisition.

3.- Description of the Elements that make the podcast comprehensible.
I think the Video Podcast that I created can be comprehensible for different types of learners. You have the information presented by images (illustrations of the concept), sounds (pronunciation of the concept), and words (representation of how you write the concept). These elements can be helpful for students who learn in different ways.
4.- Description of the strategies that we have covered that have informed the choices that you have made with the podcast and how you will use it with students.
Lesson should support student’s first language and culture: As you may know the background of the students if critical for me. That’s why I asked Chilean students teachers to perform the dialogue. I really want to put in the first place the first language of the students. In that way, my students can see a closer situation where you can speak about the weather.
Teaching Language through content: I created a situation where the content is something that you can actually use, and not something related to the future.
Lessons should include all four modes: I consider this topic because I really want my students to practice improve the 4 skills as a whole. First, you are listening the text; then you are reading the text; after that they have to create a dialogue (this means they have to write), and finally, they have to reproduce sentences orally. As you can see, throughout this video podcast students will be able to practice the 4 skills.
Here you have the link for me very first video podcast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoeTsRKgBlQ

1 comment:

Lisa Avery said...

Hi Marian,
Nicely done - I liked the dialogue, and the way that you used the graphics and photos to depict the weather visually.
Lisa Avery