Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Reflection 5 - Websites that might Help



Josh... No words, but Smile.


Throughout my Student-Teaching, I have been observing a boy called "Josh", a very nice kid from Burma. I paid attention to him because he always remained in silence during the class.

At first, I saw that he never talked, besides the teacher never made him speak if he didn't want to. As we were helping the students to read during the first 30 minutes in the morning, I noticed that Sandra was helping him to read, he read very quietly. Moreover, when classmates asked him questions, he just smile, nodded or shake his head. These situations made me think about his problem. The problem is not speaking in front of the class, but also to speak with peers.

One day, the kids wanted to present in front of the class an assignment. Miss Sullivan thought that he only was drawing pictures. But, for her surprise, Sandra helped him to speak in front of all his classmates. He did it very quietly, but the teacher was really surprised and pleased. That event showed me that he only needs more attention, and harder work from the teacher. Because if Sandra could make him speak, why not the teacher?

I think that the problem here is that the teacher is not as interested in the case as she should be. On the grounds that if she pays more attention to him, he will be able to perform better speeches in class.

I also believed that he is such a shy boy, but something that I like is that he always has a nice smile for you to see.

It seems to me that the time that Sandra and I had at the "X&Y School" was not enough for giving a real help to students as Josh. I would have loved having more time to spend with the kids at school.

For this case I would like to recommend him the followings websites:


http://www.britishcouncil.org/kids.htm






















http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/interactive/literacy.html















I strongly believe these websites can help him to feel more comfortable with his English skills, and after doing that he will be able to speak with classmates and teachers as well.



1 comment:

Gina Petrie/CALE/ESLG said...

Marian,
Beautifully done. I'm so happy to read about the success with the student. (And--your choice of a visual--the image of the boy looking through his hands--is fantastic.)
Gina